Saturday, May 22, 2010

From Life and Times of Michael K by J M Coetzee: the end

He is like a stone, a pebble that, having lain around quietly minding its own business since the dawn of time, is now suddenly picked up and tossed randomly from hand to hand. A hard little stone, barely aware of its surroundings, enveloped in itself and its interior life. He passes through these institutions and camps and hospitals and God knows what else like a stone. Through the intestines of the war. An unbearing, unborn creature. I cannot really think of him as a man, though he is older than me by most reckonings....

...He could not sleep. Against his will the memory returned of the casque of silver hair bent over him and the grunting of the girl as she laboured on him. I have become an object of charity, he thought. Everywhere I go there are people waiting to exercise their forms of charity on me. All these years, and I still carry the look of an orphan. They treat me like the children of the prison camp, whom they were prepared to feed because they were still too young to be guilty of anything. From the children they expected only a stammer of thanks in return. From me they want more because I have been in the world longer. They want me to open my heart and tell them the story of a life lived in cages. They want to hear about all the cages I have lived in, as if I were a white mouse or a monkey. And if I had learned storytelling in primary school instead of potato-peeling and sums, if they had made me practise the story of my life every day, standing over me with a cane till I could perform without stumbling, I might have known how to please them. I would have told the story of a life passed in prisons where I stood day after day, year after year with my forehead pressed to the wire, gazing into the distance, dreaming of experiences I would never have, and where the guards called me names and kicked my backside and sent me off to scrub the floor. When my story was finished, people would have shaken their heads and been sorry and angry and plied me with food and drink; women would have taken me into their beds and mothered me in the dark. Whereas the truth is that I have been a gardener, first for the Council, later for myself, and gardeners spend their time with their noses to the ground. In fact, I am more like an earthworm. Which is also a kind of gardener. Or a mole, also a gardener, that does not tell stories because it lives in silence....

...And if some old man looked at where the pump had been that the soldiers had blown up so that nothing should be left standing, and complained, saying, 'What are we going to do about water?,' he, Michael K, would produce a teaspoon from his pocket, a teaspoon and a long roll of string. He would clear the rubble from the mouth of the shaft, he would bend the handle of the teaspoon in a loop and tie the string to it, he would lower it down the shaft deep into the earth, and when he brought it up there would be water in the bowl of the spoon; and in that way, he would say, one can live.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Miss Dro said...

deep..and long..

Miss Dro Cooking With Cannabis
http://missdro.blogspot.com/

Mon Jan 31, 03:39:00 PM 2011  
Blogger Peachy said...

You've written it so beautifully. i read it twice for the fact that its so cleverly crafted =)

Love the previous posts as well,
Esp the poem titled Fear, very deep.
:D

Sun May 29, 10:08:00 PM 2011  
Blogger cyrus said...

Hi I was looking around the cloud when I got passed your blog.
Los Angeles Personal Injury Lawyer

Sun Jun 12, 10:15:00 AM 2011  
Blogger T said...

Was browsing blogs and came across yours. I really like your poetry. Taking a break from blogging?

Thu Sep 29, 03:29:00 PM 2011  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a lovely post. Nice to see you had a great time and you look beautiful in that jumpsuit!
Flights to Shanghai | Cheap Flights to Bali | Flights to Bali | Cheap Flights to Japan | Flights to Japan

Sat Oct 01, 11:46:00 AM 2011  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your blog is very nice I like to enjoy every pages,
metastatic brain cancer prognosis
regards...

Tue Nov 08, 10:00:00 AM 2011  
Anonymous gynecologist maricopa said...

Absolutely knowledgeable to any student. I do like reading it.

Tue Nov 22, 04:57:00 AM 2011  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's very beautiful blog, I'm happy to visit your blog,
iron deficiency hair loss
regards..

Sun Dec 04, 10:54:00 AM 2011  
Anonymous Wireless alarm kit said...

Nothing interest me more than this post, thank you for taking time in sharing this with us. Cheers.


Wireless alarm kit

Wed Dec 07, 08:23:00 AM 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

網友說台北當舖資金週轉短期週轉免求人,哪裡有新北市汽車借款優質服務?不分區域.不限車齡.不分車種.優惠專案滿足客戶需求,改善金錢關係,讓新北市汽車借款變商機

Thu Jan 12, 10:35:00 AM 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Six Tory Burch Boots designers take Miss Li Jiaxin as the inspiration goddesses, used Shi Hualuo the world singular element to design a unique clothing respectively specially, dressed the demonstration by Miss Li Jiaxin and take on-line auction way as the Hong Kong JMJ child Charitable foundation Tory Burch Flats,Tory Burch Sandals raises funds. Relies on the fellow participants on the Internet the widespread popularity and the huge influence, on-line platform huge permeability; Through the public relations media's interaction, "glitters 7X1" to obtain the community the support vigorously and donates generously Tory Burch Flip Flops.

Sat Jan 14, 02:59:00 AM 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting blog !

http://nietzsche007.blogspot.co.uk/

Mon May 28, 05:00:00 AM 2012  
Anonymous pratigya said...

so nice blogger

Wed Oct 17, 05:00:00 PM 2012  
Blogger Mark Khan said...

brilliantly written

Tue Apr 23, 07:14:00 PM 2013  
Anonymous hall of fame said...

this is fantastic

Mon Jul 01, 12:24:00 PM 2013  
Anonymous gateway customer care number said...

This post is great. Thank you for this post. I like this kind of people who share their knowledge with others.

Wed Jul 10, 05:40:00 AM 2013  
Anonymous low priced Australian ISP said...

Very Imformative blog. Insurances is very important to all of the people. Most people likes traveling abroad and other places, they should have a travel insurance for there safety incase of unexpected scenarios. There are many online travel insurance available for you

Wed Sep 18, 02:37:00 AM 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home