Thursday, April 27, 2006

Ear itch

My right ear had been itching inside for a long time. The itch would aggravate in certain positions. For example, when lying on my right side with the ear pressed against the pillow. At times, there was pain in the region below the ear. A course of antibiotics ruled out an infection - the feelings persisted. Physical inspection also dismissed wax collection. I could feel movement within the ear. Like a sharp pricking pain moving along the interiors of the ear - millimeter by millimeter.

A few days back I was lying on the bed with a mirror in my hand early in the morning. I noticed a black spot in motion in the cusps of my right ear. I turned to look at the pillow and found a clear white pillow-cover. Despite some gymnastics with the hand mirror & the mirror on the wall, I couldn't look inside my ear! But then I realized that there was an animal living inside, most probably, an ant. An ant that had liked the warm coziness of my ear. Perhaps, it had also acquired a taste for ear wax.

Days passed.

I have now got used to living with the ant in my ear. It regularly crawls out for fresh air. But returns promptly on seeing any approaching threat including my fingers. It doesn't recognize my human body: it just knows the ear canal - its home; and the ear wax - its food.

We have a language of movement and touch with which we communicate. There are certain head positions that my ant dislikes. During the day, when my head is almost always straight, my ant doesn't move much. I think it sleeps. At nights, particularly when I just lie down, I wake it up with many jolts due to my changing postures. Earlier, due to these jolts, it would run helter-skelter making my ear itch for a long time. Then, slowly, it got used to the daily earthquakes and I, for my part, always moved my head delicately, with care.

My ant feels better now. From its position inside my ear I know when it is sleeping, eating or playing my ear drums!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Meera said...

have i told you lately that u are crazy? :-)

Mon May 01, 07:21:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Aleph Null said...

i don't think you have ever spared an opportunity!

Tue May 02, 05:04:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Pratibha said...

I think the opinion about u after reading this post is quite universal...u r crazy!hmm..very

Tue May 02, 01:01:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Murali said...

I have a sparrow inside my ear....Delightful lil things ..... :D


welcome bak dude...after a long sojourn away from blogging....

Fri May 05, 08:38:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

consider getting a doctor too look at that. it can't be healthy... and if there's no ant in there they can examine your brain too.

Wed Nov 19, 03:58:00 AM 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home