Wednesday, September 20, 2006

the silent night

With both hands clutching my hair and my head bent, my eyes were restlessly following the intricate design of the tablecloth. A glimpse of the passing waiter’s apron stole a part of the table from my vision. I recklessly turned and blurted – “A cup of coffee please.”

I was taken aback to see a beautiful girl in an elegantly simple evening gown standing there, equally alarmed. For a few moments we just stared at each other – both of us stunned at my outburst. Her smile finally broke the awkward silence and she daintily went and sat at the table ahead. I was still in a state of shock. I caught up with reality, rose and went to the next table to apologize. “I am very sorry. I mistook you for the waitress.” My words were slow and abrupt and it seemed like each word touched her sparkling eyes, felt her soft cheeks and then reached her ears. She patiently heard me with a benign smile and nodded. She had a sweet face that reminded me of a flowing river – full of life, calm and soothing.

I didn’t know what to say next. This time her touch broke the silence. She touched my hand and pointed to the opposite chair. Her face and smile had enchanted me completely. Her sharp nose was small for her face but it made her look cute and innocent. I realized that I was deeply attracted to her. I also sensed, or perhaps imagined, that she liked me too.

I was about to say something when she lifted her finger, pointed to her mouth and shook her wrists. She could not speak! She pouted her lips and squeezed her eyes as though sad about her condition. I clasped her hands with mine. I wanted to speak, thinking it would entertain her. But I felt her eyes asking me not to speak. I felt that her language of silence was richer than mine and we were communicating with an immeasurable tenderness. I was mesmerized by her, enslaved by her lively eyes, motionless lips, tantalizing fragrance and reassuring silence.

She held my hand and led me out to the balcony. Sounds of lapping waves were dancing wildly in the soft light of the full moon. The moonlight seemed enthralled as it touched the bubbling whispers of the sea. Silently absorbing the intoxicating beauty, we held each other closer and kissed. Her passion was as tender as her smile. Under the moonlight, we made love in a dream like delirium.

When I woke up, I thought it was all a fantastic dream. But then, I could smell her fragrance on my self. I looked around and couldn’t find her anywhere. I ran down to the portico and saw her entering a car. I almost called out her name and I realized I didn’t know it. And then, I heard her talking to the porter! The bewilderment at hearing her voice shook me from within. A streak of worry passed over her resplendent face as she saw me. The car roared away filling my shock with smoke.

I stood watching the car with my vacant eyes, my mind confused and numb. The car stopped at a distance and I saw the driver running back. He came to me, handed a sheet of paper and ran back. I felt I was in the midst of a mysterious intrigue. I watched him running back to the car and drive away. The note explained it all. It was as simple as that – “I didn’t want words and our lives to come between us.”

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Chan said...

“I didn’t want words and our lives to come between us.”

Thu Sep 21, 03:01:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)
some women are like that

Sun Oct 15, 10:43:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

boy.... whats happening to u!!!!!

Sun Oct 15, 04:33:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing. Hard to believe things like this also happen. Came across your blog today only and read most of your posts in one go. Too good. Do visit mine if you find some time...

Tue Dec 12, 10:08:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Rashmi said...

touched me.........moved me sooo much tht i could actually not move frm my place ........!!!!!!!!

Sat Mar 03, 05:28:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home